Fibromyalgia (fye-bro-mye-AL-ja) is a medical disorder that causes aches and pain all over the body. People with fibromyalgia also have many “tender points” throughout their bodies. Tender points are specific places on the neck, shoulders, back, hips, arms, and legs that hurt especially when pressure applied on them.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
In addition to pain, people with fibromyalgia could also have:
- Cognitive and memory
- Digestive disorders like IBS
- Sleeping problems
- Morning stiffness
- Painful menstrual periods
- Numbness or tingling of hands and feet
- Temperature sensitivity
- Sensitivity to loud noises or bright lights
- Restless Leg Syndrome
80-90% of fibromyalgia patients are female and diagnosed in middle ages. Fibromyalgia is associated with stress, infection, autoimmune disease, thyroid disease other diseases so it requires a workup with complete blood panel and thorough history.
How is fibromyalgia diagnosed?
People with fibromyalgia have usually seen many doctors before being diagnosed. They are sometimes even accused of hypochondria by their doctors. A doctor who knows about fibromyalgia, however, can make a diagnosis based upon two criteria:
1. Presence of tender points. For a fibromyalgia diagnosis a person must have 11 or more tender points. For a point to be “tender,” the patient must feel pain when pressure is put on the site. The body has 18 sites that are possible tender points. They may feel pain at other sites too but those 18 sites on the body are used for diagnosis.
2. A history of pain lasting more than 3 months. Pain must be present in places both the right and left sides of the body as well as above and below the waist.
We at Beyond-Biology.com feel that fibromyalgia can severely diminish quality of life. Hormone imbalance needs to be addressed; adrenals and thyroid is usually the weak spot in these patients. We are here to support these patients with the hormones if they are deficient, and supplements along with a health plan to elevate their quality of life. You may not have to live with this painful syndrome, so if you, or someone you know, have been suffering needlessly give us a call at 1-888-908-0804 it is a free evaluation.