The Magic of the Ketogenic Diet and how Phase 2® Carb Controller® Can Help You Succeed
Written by Dr Gail Wasserman
New Year means new resolutions. Most of would like to do better with our diet and exercise plan for 2018. The hard part is knowing exactly how to improve and how to follow through, not just today but forever. Please give me a healthy way to eat that improves your numbers on a blood test and your numbers on the scale. That’s what we all want, right?
So what is a Ketogenic Diet?
Ketones are a byproduct of fat breakdown in the liver. When you limit the carbohydrates in your diet, body fat breakdown becomes the source of fuel for your body. This process makes ketones. Sugar doesn’t collect in the bloodstream and make deadly triglycerides and stored body fat. We all what to avoid that excess body fat and all those nasty artery clogging triglycerides, right?
What do you eat on a proper Ketogenic Diet?
- Meat, including beef, lamb, poultry, turkey, fish, eggs etc.
- Leafy veggies like lettuce, kale, spinach etc.
- Vegetables that grow above the ground. What I like to call the smelly veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc.
- Dairy but only the full fat. No skim or low fat dairy products they are higher in carbs. Cream and whole fat cheeses are permitted.
- Seeds and Nuts like pecans, macadamia, walnuts etc.
- Berries are permitted like blackberries, and raspberry within reason.
- Fats like Coconut oil, Olive Oil, high fat salad dressings avocado etc.
Sounds easy right?
Now for what you have to avoid. This is the HARD part sorry.
- Grains of all kinds, even the “good” ones. Avoid corn, rice, oatmeal, cereal, pasta etc.
- All fruit and fruit juices with the exception of whole berries. No bananas, oranges, peaches, watermelon etc.
- No Sugars including agave, honey, syrup and raw sugar
- Starchy veggies like the tubers, potato, yams winter squashes etc.
Benefits of a Ketogenic Diet
- Weight loss. This new way of eating forces the body to be in metabolic mode. This means your body needs to use the fat for fuel as soon as the sugar and triglycerides get lower.
- Blood Sugar Control. Science supports the use of this type of diet in pre-diabetes and type two diabetes with physician support.
- Mental Focus. The brain LOVES ketones they increase mental focus and remove the fog.
- Increased Energy. Using fat for energy is a more reliable and more stable energy source.
- Cholesterol and Blood Pressure Benefits. Dramatic increases in HDL (good cholesterol) and decrease in triglycerides make for excellent cardiovascular benefits. (see the end of this article for actual cholesterol readings directly from my own blood tests)
- Supports those with Epilepsy. Science shows they use less medication than those on traditional diets.
- Reverses Insulin Resistance. Lots of research shows that insulin levels can be reduced to healthy levels.
- Reduces Hunger. The food you are eating allows for less spikes in sugar and insulin so less cravings. Fat is much more satiating than carbohydrates so you stay full longer too.
How do you know you are in Ketosis?
When you first start you will miss your “old friends” carbohydrates. You may feel tired in the beginning too. This will pass. If you stay on track you will first lose a lot the fluid in your body that comes with the carbs. All that bloat will be gone……and then if you stay consistent and the fat will follow. You will definitely urinate more. You can buy ketosis strips in the Health Food Store to be sure but if you stick to the diet you will know.
Supplement That May Help
Our clients find it helps especially in the beginning of the life change to use a CARB BLOCKER. White Kidney Bean Extract is an all-natural product that is clinically proven to delay the digestion and absorption of simple carbohydrates. Phase 2® Carb Controller® is the extract from the white kidney bean clinically shown to reduce the digestion and absorption of starches by up to 66%. Most studies show taking 1000mg or 2 caps before a meal can be beneficial to your goals.
Personal Testimonial for Ketogenic Diet
I have personally been eating a Ketogenic diet for about 10 years now. I have a family history of serious heart disease in both parents and my father has diabetes type two. Both paternal grandparents died prematurely of MI. I consider this type of diet a necessity in my life. Now I promised you all some numbers from my last lipid panel. (I should mention that I take medication for my thyroid and some bioidentical hormones. No other medication.)
Cholesterol, Total 181 mg/dL
Triglycerides 40 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol 100 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol 73 mg/dL
LDL/ HDL Ratio .7
Glucose 78 ng/dL
If you need extra help the Beyond Biology Doctors can also be your private ketogenic diet coaches. We can help you get started and make sure you are successful. Private phone consults are available with Dr Gail and Dr Stacey online we are happy to help!